Protection from viruses is a necessity with the connection of your computer to the Internet or to a network. No longer can you be assured that the programs you downloaded from your network or from the Internet are free from viruses. You can even get a virus from an email without opening it or from the Internet simply by viewing a website!
Updates to your anti-virus program should be done through the manufacturers website or through the program itself on at least a weekly basis. Your program will store the updates where they are needed. If you perform the updates manually, follow the manufacturer's instructions on where to place them.
If you don't have an anti-virus program on your computer system, you are at considerable risk!
Here is a list of some Anti-Virus programs on the market today:
- Bitdefender Internet Security - ($, yearly fee, full security package, recommended)
- ESET Smart Security - ($, yearly fee, full security package)
- Norton Internet Security - ($, yearly fee) - Comcast gives Norton Internet Security to customers for free
- Avast Antivirus Free - (free for personal use)
- McAfee Anti-Virus Plus - ($, yearly fee) - Now owned by Intel